Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Republican Appropriators Vote Down Border Security Measures

I witnessed some very alarming votes today during the House Appropriations Committee hearing for the Fiscal Year 2007 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill. Despite growing consensus that we need to secure our borders, my Republican colleagues voted down every single attempt by myself and my Democratic colleagues to improve our border security program. We tried to add 800 new border patrols, 500 new detention beds, 800 Immigration Custom Enforcement agents, and $100 million for technologies to help detect radioactive material at our ports.

This is not only irresponsible, but a clear sign that my Republican colleagues are not ready to take border security seriously. Both parties need to come together to pass a budget that prioritizes the needs of our border communities. This is a national security issue that must not be taken lightly.

Click here to read my press release on the committee hearing.